Saturday, November 22, 2008

A wonderful thanksgiving poem

Jeff is at the hospital for 26 hours so the kids and I had to find something to do. We made a "Thankful Door" It's always amazing at how profound their simple words are. We wrote as many things as we could that we were thankful for. And yes, I am thankful for Sam, our strong willed little boy, who refused to make a hand print. Guess you know which ones are his:)
I heard this poem many years ago and have always found it so true.
I Am So Thankful
For the teenager who is not doing dishes but is watching TV,Because that means he is at home and not on the streets.For the taxes that I pay,Because it means that I am employed.For the mess to clean after a party,Because it means that I have been surrounded by friends.For the clothes that fit a little too snug,Because it means I have enough to eat.For my shadow that watches me work,Because it means I am out in the sunshine.For a lawn that needs mowing, windows thatneed cleaning, and gutters that need fixing,
Because it means I have a home.For all the complaining I hear about the government,Because it means that we have freedom of speech.For the parking spot I find at the far endof the parking lot,Because it means I am capable of walkingand that I have been blessed with transportation.For my huge heating bill,Because it means I am warm.For the lady behind me in church that sings off key,Because it means that I can hear.For the pile of laundry and ironing,Because it means I have clothes to wear.For weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day,Because it means I have been capable of working hard.For the alarm that goes of in the early morning hours,Because it means that I am alive and have a reason to get up.And finally...For too much e-mail,Because it means I have friends who are thinking of me.

1 comment:

rwheeler said...

Man, you are a true inspiration! Thanks for the ideas and the poem!
Love you tons!